Photo Gallery

Construction of Schoen Haus (1904)

Architect William Price totally transformed Osborne’s 1862 stone farm house, expanding it in all directions and adding a Spanish breezeway, servant’s quarters, and a third floor, as well as a Spanish tile roof. The pictures begin with Price’s proposal sketch and then show the gutted farm house gradually being transformed into a thing of beauty. Over a hundred of such early photographs are a part of the George Thomas collection at the Philadelphia Athenaeum. Continue

2008 Renovation and Restoration

After a hundred years of wear and tear, Schoen Haus was in need of thorough renovation and restoration. The house was again taken down to the studs, all mechanical systems were replaced, the kitchen and bathrooms were totally renovated, new Ludowici terra cotta tiles were installed on the roof. A family room, mud room and attached four car garage were included in the addition, as well as an enclosed sunroom. Dozens of pictures of the buildings before and during this renovation also are available. Continue

Exterior of Manor House

The exterior architecture is unique, showing Spanish and Mediterranean influences, as well as William Price’s use of unadorned concrete. The front, with its arches, shows his concept of the house “growing up, out of the soil”. Continue

Interior of Manor House

The interior contains extensive craftsmanship that is all-but-impossible to reproduce today: Mercer and Enfield tiles, wood and stone carvings by John Maene, Samuel Yellin decorative Ironwork, century-old hardwood flooring, and brass and bronze window hardware. The original Mercer tile bedroom fireplaces look the same today as they did when built in 1904. The kitchens and bathrooms, however, have been totally renovated and contain all the modern conveniences. Continue

Landscaping and Formal Gardens

The grounds have been totally renovated, with the formal gardens fully restored in the tradition of Gertrude Jekyll. Outside rooms include the Ice House/Well Ruins and the iron skeleton of a greenhouse built by Billings & Co for the 1926 Philadelphia Exposition. The landscaping features mature trees with broad swaths of pastoral grass, a hillside rock garden, three fountains, and a series of studied vistas. The layout and landscaping work was done by Jack Blandy of Stoney Bank Nurseries, the successor nursery to Rose Valley Nursery, which was founded on the Saul estate after World War II. Continue

Outbuildings (Water Tower, Barn & Pavilion)

The Water Tower was restored as an occasional den and a new Barn replaced the one from 1862, which includes a lower level two car garage. Both have access to all mechanical systems, including sewer, and could be finished for occupancy, if desired. The Pavilion balances the layout of the other buildings, forming a diamond, with Schoen’s Office at the base. Continue

Adjacent Cottage (Offered Separately)

Schoen’s Office, also designed by William Price, was built in 1910 and used as the headquarters for the Schoen-Jackson Works, who manufactured FEPS carburetors in the Old Mill. It also is where Schoen developed the steel railroad wheel, which he then manufactured in his new company, Schoen Steel Wheel Company, in Pittsburgh. Schoen’s Office has been completely renovated and restored. It is now used as a two bedroom guest house. Continue